Creating restrictive props - Bushes

I started to now think about making the restrictive props within the level, and also the stairs that would allow players to traverse

the level with ease.


First was the Bush/ Fence that prevented people from exiting the level and falling through the map from the outside courtyard area.

I modelled a simple tall bush with a wall below it. The bush would have been planted in the 'garden' area of the wall and grown to the point that the dirt was no longer visible. I also knew I wanted to have the bush be relatively well kept, as the courtyard for the café is only small, and it would be common for the bush to be upkept pretty regularly.

The Bush model in Maya:


I imported the bush/wall prop into substance painter and textured the wall first as I knew this would be the easiest thing to texture/ find textures for. When it came to the bush however, a bush/leaf texture was harder to find. Instead of spending ages scrolling through texture websites to find one, I decided to make one myself using substance sampler. I imported a JPEG image of a bush into substance designer and created a texture based off of that. I then tweaked the settings a little bit to get t to my liking and exported it into substance painter to finish the texture job off. 


The bush texture in substance sampler:


The bush model in unity: 



This was my first experience ever using substance sampler, even though I had known about it for a while. After using it I now know how useful it can be and just how easy it is to use, I will definitely be using substance sampler in my future texture jobs of props.







Comments

Popular Posts