Research: Architecture

To help aid my art direction when it comes to making my platformer game, I decided to do some research on the time period, location, and architecture that was present within said time frame.

The time frame that i decided to choose was between 1910 and 1915. At the beginning of this time frame, King Edward died, and the reign of King George began, at the end of this time frame however, the first world war had just begun. Since my game is going to be based in a seaside town of which has been abandoned and neglected for 5 years, the architecture needs to be within the previous era, of which would have been the Edwardian era. 





To be able to understand how decayed buildings would be after 5 years of decay, i looked at Fukushima and the decay that has currently happened there. I wanted to look at Chernobyl, but decided that it was better that i focused on the latest nuclear disaster, so that the level of decay was more accurate. Even though Fukushima happened 9 years ago, the level of decay is around the same that it would be after 5 years, other than nature growth rates.

My first bit of research was the architecture, so i made a mood board and an influence map that could help me decide what kind of architecture i wanted to include.



From this research I decided that I wanted to do a mixture of all the different architecture types that there were before the Edwardian era, meaning Victorian, Georgian etc had to be included.
I also wanted to look at the different colour schemes that were popular when it came to architecture within this era. To do this, I took some photos and made a colour palette in Photoshop.


Comments

Popular Posts